Whether you are pro breastfeeding or anti breastfeeding it always remains the same- how much do you actually even know about it?
I am hugely pro breastfeeding and my opinions are my own. But still I felt in the maternity hospital that I went to I was never told anything about breastfeeding a quick "do you plan on breastfeeding?" At your first apt but that's it. If the answers yes, like it was for me there was no ok well here are dates of classes to learn or if the answer was no, there was no question of well why and what are your restrictions. Nutritionally breast milk is best for a newborn baby- there is no argument. So I think it should be encouraged more than it is in maternity hospitals. Everything I learned was self thought or from my beautiful sister in law. And 11 months ebf has also taught me tons.
Here are a few interesting facts I didn't know about breastfeeding and I think everyone should know!
- The amount of breast milk a woman produces has no relation to the size of the woman's breasts.
- Babies that are breastfed have a lower risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Every mothers milk has a different and unique smell and a baby can differentiate between their mothers milk and a different woman's.
- A mothers milk is constantly changing depending on baby's needs.
- Skin to Skin contact in the first few hours after birth helps a baby breastfeed. It helps encourage their natural instinct to latch. A mothers breast can also detect if baby's temp fluctuates even one degree and will warm or cool breast milk as needed.
- Mothers can still breastfeed when they are sick, actually its amazing for baby because baby has already been exposed to the germs or virus and by the time mom is showing symptoms, baby is already receiving antibodies through her breast milk.
- Breastfeeding can burn the same amount of calories as walking seven miles!!
- Hormones released while breastfeeding actually sends signals to contract your uterus post baby, getting you pre baby tummy back in no time!
- Breast fed babies get sick much less..it reduces risks of stomach issues, gastroenteritis, ear infections, it reduces the risk of asthma, diabetes and childhood obesity.
Thanks for reading ladies,
lots of love,